Our first flight to London left 12Feb and was uneventful. We weren't sure if we had enough time to leave airport, so decided to play it safe on the way there and hang out in Terminal 5. Not sure if we'll fly British Airways again. Then we were off to Johannesberg.
At Johannesburg airport Tyler's boarding card wouldn't scan through security, so they just waived him through - Tyler's first T.I.A. experience! (T.I.A.=This Is Africa!)
After three flights we landed at the tiny airport in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe on Feb14. It took us at least an hour to get through customs to get a visa (no problems, just a slow, manual process). We couldn't believe - Canadians pay the highest amount for visas! It was $75USD - other nationalities only paid $30 or $60! In fact, by the time we got stamps in our passports, security had shut down the x-ray scanner - guess it was lunch time! (T.I.A.#2!) So Tyler and I just walked out of the airport.
Taxi'ed 22km to our camp (Vic Falls Rest Camp). Showered and ate - I tried crocodile steak (like sweet chicken). Later on, Tyler & I shared kudu meatballs - very good!
Today we went white water rafting on the Zambezi river - awesome, since the water was too high for me to do it last time. Before we left they informed us that the crocodiles are vegetarians this time of year - then they added "Well, vegetables and white meat!" LOL. It was quite the hike down the gorge to get to the river (and what goes down must come up!). Scenery was beautiful though - black, black rocks, white sand, and lush green vegetation. Some of the rapids were pretty crazy - our boat only flipped once (and once was enough!). The hike back up was almost torture (I would say it was torture, but those little Zimbabwean boys passing me as they carried heavy rafts up the same path made us all look bad!). All in all, it was a good time! With beer waiting at the top - and "don't forget some for the drive home" - T.I.A.!
It is hot & very humid here - not sure of the exact temperatures, but mid-20's. Partly cloudy, periods of light rain showers - probably due to all the mist that rises from the falls, constantly creating precipitation.
Tonight we are sleeping in an "upgraded tent" - a dome tent with two single beds jammed inside - and a light bulb!
We won't have internet for about a week. Heading to Kasane, Botswana tomorrow at noon thirty.
Lots of Love,
Krystle & Tyler

I read your blog and smile, I am so proud of you. Exporing the world.... I will look forward to reading more. Have a wonderful time. Love from Brenda
ReplyDelete